Carpenter’s Corner is the latest project of Carpenter’s Place. This new earned-income venture is a community Thrift Store and will raise funds for the support of our services to homeless adults and families in crisis.
Located in the former Schnuck’s building at 1715 Rural Street in Rockford, it will be much more than simply a thrift store. It will also house special mission-based programs such as the Cycles for Change bike program, a Children’s Giving Library, professional clothing for those seeking employment, and more.
This project has been a labor of love. Over the past 18 months we have had the help of our extraordinary members of our Board of Directors and Young Professionals Board, along with other faithful volunteers.
Thanks to the outstanding commitment and leadership of George Ralph, we are getting closer and closer to opening day.
As of January 28, 2022
- Repaired parking lot as needed, seal-coated and re-striped;
- Obtained building permit;
- Removed and disposed of all ceiling tiles;
- Removed/disposed of plumbing fixtures and bathroom partitions in front bathrooms (by agreement with plumbing contractor to save money);
- Completed HVAC maintenance on remaining units;
- Finalized agreement with HVAC contractor for new work;
- Finalized costs to complete flashing of roof for new rooftop units (RTUs) and other necessary penetrations (venting for new bathrooms, washer & dryer, etc.);
- Finalized agreement with plumbing contractor and work will commence in the next few days; and
- Secured pricing for the cost of reinforcing the roof deck where new openings will be made for new RTUs (structural reinforcement is needed to support additional load of new equipment).
At this time we are not able to take items for Carpenter’s Corner on Rural. We will keep you updated as this project continues to move forward and we transition into accepting donations.
If you or someone you know is interested in volunteering at Carpenter’s Corner, please contact Patti Floyd at 815-964-4105 ext. 216 or PattiF@carpentersplace.org.
We promise a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT of the store opening!
We’d love for you to follow our newly created Facebook and Instagram accounts! These pages will be dedicated to the thrift store and will highlight all of the progress updates and news about opening day.