Carpenter’s Corner Progress Update
Carpenter’s Corner is under construction and will soon be home to a multi-purpose community Thrift Store. It is located in the former Schnuck’s building at 1715 Rural Street in Rockford.
Carpenter’s Corner manager, Brent Schaer, extraordinary members of our Board of Directors and Young Professionals Board, along with other faithful volunteers, served many hours on landscape and parking lot clean-up. Volunteers also painted the basement and removed hundreds of square feet of ceiling tile. The inside and outside of the thrift store are receiving much needed TLC and we are grateful for that progress.
The following accomplishments have been achieved under the leadership of George Ralph, lead volunteer, and bring us closer to opening day.
- Repaired parking lot as needed, seal-coated and re-striped;
- Obtained building permit;
- Removed and disposed of all ceiling tiles;
- Removed/disposed of plumbing fixtures and bathroom partitions in front bathrooms (by agreement with plumbing contractor to save money);
- Completed HVAC maintenance on remaining units;
- Finalized agreement with HVAC contractor for new work;
- Finalized costs to complete flashing of roof for new rooftop units (RTUs) and other necessary penetrations (venting for new bathrooms, washer & dryer, etc.);
- Finalized agreement with plumbing contractor and work will commence in the next few days; and
- Secured pricing for the cost of reinforcing the roof deck where new openings will be made for new RTUs (structural reinforcement is needed to support additional load of new equipment).
At this time we are not able to take items for Carpenter’s Corner on Rural. We will keep you updated as this project continues to move forward and we transition into accepting donations.
If you or someone you know is interested in volunteering at Carpenter’s Corner, please contact Patti Floyd at 815-964-4105 ext. 216 or PattiF@carpentersplace.org.
We promise a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT of the store opening! And you will definitely be invited to a sneak peek for our special friends!‹ Back to Blog