Our History

Support Our Cause Sign up to receive our newsletter.

Carpenter’s Place was established in June 2000 by Al and Cathy Barsema.

JOHN F. ELBERS II | ROCKFORD REGISTER STAR Carpenter?s Place interim executive director Kay Larrick and Al Barsema accept the 2007 Excelsior Award Thursday at Cliffbreakers in Rockford. Cathy Barsema and Rockford Register Star publisher Fritz Jacobi joined the presentation.Al knew firsthand the power of addiction and homelessness, and with the help of his family, he spent 8 years rebuilding his own life and career. After his own addiction recovery, his dream was to provide a central, day-time center for people who are homeless and give them the tools needed to rebuild their lives, just as he had needed.

Located at 1149 Railroad Avenue in Rockford, Carpenter’s Place has a large day room with a home-style atmosphere, case management area, bathrooms, showers, storage for personal belongings, kitchen, classrooms, art room, laundry facility, donation room, and office space.

CP quickly grew beyond simply providing a safe environment away from the streets. Over the years as resources poured in, various programs, case manager and staff grew from the original 2 founders to the 19 staff employed today. A current array of very practical and essential life services center around professional, holistic, and goal-oriented case management. Effective service linkages, coupled with accountability, are provided for those caught in the downward spiral that has led to their living on the street.

We are excited for the ways Carpenter’s Place continues to grow and expand. We believe the best is yet to come!

1149 Railroad Avenue, Rockford, IL 61104 | (815) 964-4105

© 2017 The Carpenter’s Place. Site Map

Non Profit Web Design by Idea Marketing Group

  • Connect with Us